Fiona Hunter - Partner
Fiona enjoys assisting clients in avoiding disputes in estates through careful planning. Where disputes become inevitable, Fiona helps clients reach resolutions through mediation and litigation. Fiona’s depth of knowledge comes from having practiced law since 1981 and from her passionate interest in the law generally.
Fiona has a Masters of Law degree in the area of trusts. She has written extensively about trusts and other estate matters over the years, and has taught other lawyers and law students at professional development courses and at the University of Victoria law school. She is active in law reform, and is currently on the board of the British Columbia Law Institute. She also contributes to her community by serving on the boards of charitable organizations, including the boards of the University of Victoria Foundation, the Foundation for the University of Victoria, and the Art Gallery of Victoria Foundation.
Since 2008, Fiona has been recognized by her peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in Canada” in the field of Trust and Estates (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.). That publication also named Fiona "Lawyer of the Year" for 2013, having received the highest peer review in Victoria, Vancouver Island and Vancouver in Trusts and Estates.
Her professional accomplishments include:
- co-author of a reference book for lawyers entitled Drafting Trusts and Wills Trusts in Canada, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, now in its third edition;
- co-editor of and contributor to the general reference book, Financial and Estate Planning for the Mature Client in BC.,Lexis Nexis Butterworths;
- co-editor of and contributor to the legal reference book, British Columbia Estate Planning & Wealth Preservation, The Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- co-author of a study for the Law Commission of Canada with Dr. Holly Tuokko of the University of Victoria's Centre on Aging, entitled “Using Age as a Fitness to drive Criterion for Older Adults”;
- past president of the Canadian Bar Association's Wills and Trusts Section, Victoria and the Estate Planning Council of Victoria.
In addition to her practice of law, Fiona enjoys cycling, golfing, traveling and gardening. She is blessed with two wonderful children who bring her great joy and the occasional cardiac arrest.